It’s easy to get caught up in all the busy day-to-day life responsibilities. You work all day, come home and take care of the kids, cook supper and before you know it, it is bedtime. The next day, we do it all over again. Sometimes it seems life goes by too quickly and we don’t seem to have the time to enjoy it! Doing too much takes a toll on our bodies and we have to remember to s-l-o-w down.
A few years ago when my life was really busy, I was doing too much, by myself, and my health suffered. I had so much responsibility at my full-time job, I had to care for my young daughter being a single, divorced mom, and I managed my household by myself. My mother told me several times, “you need to make sure to take care of yourself.” She was right…I needed to slow down. When my daughter would take naps, I would prepare myself a cup of hot tea or coffee and sit down and read a book. Or, I would curl up with a blanket and watch and episode of my favorite tv show. Sometimes I would just in my screened-in porch and watch the birds at the bird feeder in my backyard and watch the boats go up and down the river. Just doing those little things helped to break the monotony of life and seemed refreshing!
A reader wrote to me the other day about how one of my Capsule Wardrobe eBooks has changed her life for the better and wanted to know if I had any tips on other ways to reduce stress. I thought I would share a few tips to reduce stress and enjoy my day!
It’s important to stop and enjoy the simple things in life, things that we enjoy and that are special to us. Spending time with your family is definitely important and is what you enjoy, but doing something just for yourself is just as rewarding. It’s not only good for your mind and body, but it gives us a break from the constant day to day responsibilities. So, take about 30 minutes out of your day to do something just for you, which will be your “me time.”
Here are a few tips on how to care for yourself, reduce stress in your life and refresh your mind, body and soul:
1. Start Your Day Slowly – Rather than sleeping to the last minute before you have to get out of bed, wake up 30 minutes earlier. You can eat a nutritious breakfast, exercise a bit or have your “Me Time”. This will make sure your day gets off to a great start! You will be surprised at how much it will change your day for the better!
2. Make a “Me Time” Checklist – Write down a list of things you like to do. By having a checklist, you can remind yourself of your favorite activities and how often you do them. Set a timer on your watch or phone to do at least one activity for a certain time of day. That way you don’t have to remember to take a break. Use one of these handy notebooks to keep your checklist.
3. Take a Tea, Wine or Coffee Break – A warm drink seems to sooth and relax the body! Chamomille tea is very relaxing. You can add cream and/or honey for a delicious taste. I love this Tea & Honey Traveler set! My current favorite tea is Tazo Chai Tea Latte Concentrate. In a mug, pour half of the chai tea latte and fill the rest of the mug with milk. Heat in the microwave for about 2 minutes. It’s delicious!
4. Read a Book or Magazine – Just reading a few pages of a book or magazine will relax your mind. Curl up in your favorite chair with a blanket. If you will be out and about, take your book or magazine with you and read for about 15 minutes.
5. Take a Warm Bath – Nowadays, it seems like we always take showers since we are pressed for time. After a long day at work or a stressful day, run a bathtub full of warm water and soak for about 15 minutes. Add some of these Calm Soaking Bath Salts, formulated with Himalayan Pink Salt crystals, nutrient-rich Pacific sea salts, floral ylang ylang and soothing vanilla oil.
6. Use a Capsule Wardrobe – If your closet is packed with clothes and it takes you too long to get dressed, eliminate the clutter by using a capsule wardrobe! By wearing only the clothes you love and feel great in, having a neat closet with dozens of outfit possibilities and being able to get dressed quickly, will eliminate stress! You will always know what to wear, so you will be dressed in minutes, saving you valuable time. Plus, by having clothes that you love to wear and look great on you will give you confidence! Thousands of women are using my Capsule Wardrobe eBooks every season. All the wardrobe plans use mostly core closet essentials and each eBook includes 100 outfit ideas!
7. Drink Plenty of Water – Eliminate sodas and sugared drinks from your diet. Sodas and sugared drinks make you bloated and crave more sugar, which will make you feel tired. I know, I used to drinks these often. While the sodas contained caffeine, after the caffeine wore off, I was exhausted and needing to drink more. It was an endless cycle and they affected my health. Drinking water will keep you hydrated, let you think clearly and you will feel great. I keep ice water in my Yeti Tumbler and drink several glasses a day. It keeps my water cold and tastes great too!
8. Burn a Candle or Use an Essential Oil Diffuser – When I need to destress, I light a candle or use my essential oil diffuser. I love the scent of this Hearth & Hand Sugared Birch Candle! They have several other scents as well. I love the white and wood look of this Ultrasonic Cool Mist Aromatherapy Diffuser. Just add a bit of water, a few drops of your favorite essential oil and the scent will fill the room and smell divine! Choose from 3 sets of scents of this 3-Pack Essential Oils.
9. Take a Walk or Walk Your Dog – Take a walk around your block or take your dog for a walk. Getting outside, enjoying the sunshine and being in the fresh air will give you a refreshing break! Let you children enjoy it too! Push your baby or toddler in the stroller as you get some exercise.
10. Practice Yoga – Yoga involves breathing exercises and specific body postures. Doing yoga for just 15 minutes will focus your mind and will reduce stress for greater relaxation.
What are a few of your favorite ways to enjoy your “me time” and reduce stress in your life?